Sunday, May 15, 2011

Memories of Memories.

I've been sewing up a storm this weekend! I have a few friends who are pregnant and two are due... well any day now! How exciting! Not only does this mean new babies to sniff and to sew for, but also big sisters (3 in total!) needing gifts for just being them! More about those later, however.

Today I sat down with my husband's Nana and we were talking about various things crafty - see this was at a card making party and I spend most of my time at those things sighing, moaning about how bad I am at crafts and furrowing my brow until someone feels sorry for me and gives me step-by-steps. And while that all happens someone tries to reassure me that I AM creative in some way and "Don't you look at your own sewing?". Today it was Nana who was telling me this, and then she complimented me on how good I'm getting and she mentioned the polo shirt that Cobey was wearing- which I'd repurposed from an adult polo. She asked if I was enjoying sewing, I nodded enthusiastically and then pulled out my phone to show her some snaps of Eva's tunic dress of last weekend - I looked back to her and she was smiling back.. she told me how she used to make all her kids' clothes and how seeing my enthusiasm and making my kids' clothes brought back memories of the pride she felt when her kids would put them on.

She even shared with me that her son (My husband's dad) was the one who first boasted of my polo-job, and said "Remember how you used to make our clothes."

It makes it worth it, the sewing, the swearing at the cursed machine, the pain of picking up a pin the wrong way - so worth it, not for just the pride of making something that usable- but for the memories I'm creating for my children and for the memories I'm evoking from others. So very worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment