Sunday, May 1, 2011

I do like to sew.

My dad's wife, who I'll refer to as Oma (what my kids call her) gave me the sewing machine for Christmas. I hadn't sewed before then - well, wait, I tell a lie. I had sewn. There was a term - around 10 weeks - in year 8 at school (1995) where I did Home Economics and I 'learnt' to sew. I made the pencil case and then failed dismally at sewing a straight line to make the pillow case.
So yeah, that was the first and last time I used a sewing machine. Fun, right? I dipped into needle craft - I'm pretty good at cross stitch but most.. wait.. all my projects go unfinished. I started paper piecing and that went the same way as the cross stitch, so Husband was quite nervous about bringing The Sewing Machine home, and - indeed - taking me for a trip to Ikea to buy a table for it. But here I am, 6 months later, still sewing and sewing quite a bit. Fabric is starting to take over my (small) house and my kids are getting used to not touching the machine.. it's not gathering dust!
I love reading all the blogs around and decided to start my own. I haven't made my own creations yet, but I do make a lot of other things from sewing bloggers! 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog has made me itch to get down my grandma's sewing machine and have a go. Like you, my experience is limited to a semester in year 8 (as well as sewing on buttons and bad hem jobs).

    How did you get started? Did you find some nice simple patterns?

    ReplyDelete