Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two Bags, Two Beanies.

There are a few things, odd projects, I've sewed in the last few days but they don't have enough to take up a whole blog post- but it's still fun to note them down here.

I was at my local sewing & craft shop (Spotlight) for a rotary cutter and assorted materials when I was informed that they no longer give plastic bags and would I like to buy a resuable bag.. piffle to that, I say! I have enough know-how and material to knock myself up a few to take with me on my next fabric binge. And that gave me just enough motivation to try two repurposes I had buried in my bookmark folder.

This bag was from Martha Stewart and it used a pillow case.

It wasn't too hard to do at all and a nice quick one. I (clearly) didn't colour match my thread and used the only spare pillowcase on hand - I'll be scoping out the opshops for some retro print ones, I think! Next time I'll change it up a bit, use two pillow cases to make it reversible and a bit cleaner.

I've also had my eye on the T-Shirt Tote. So I pulled a John Deere shirt that my husband once loved from the "Donate" bag and cut that to bits! It's not as polished as all those that you hem and what-have-you but it does the job, feels sturdy and I quite like it.
I'll keep this one in mind especially for event shirts!

I love repurposing, in fact I told a workmate who likes to opshop to "Find me something cheap and ugly, I need a challenge." I'll have to see what she's found!

The other pair of a project I've done is beanie making, or fleece hats, or cute winter head warmers. I'm in love with these, they look so good and seriously took me about 15 minutes. My kids like them too which makes it a bonus. They're super easy to make! I used this tute from Green's Going Green but forwent the pom-pom.

So now I have two kids with warm noggins! And rest assured, I'll be making myself one too!
The other fun part of this quick project was putting the beanie on my son's head when he was sleeping- he sleeps very heavily and I was too excited to wait for him to wake up before sharing with twitter and facebook!
teehee! He's like a wee, sleeping gnome.

No comments:

Post a Comment