Sunday, June 5, 2011

The (not so) Incy Wincy Spider.

Incy Wincy, Itsy Bitsy.. what do you know it as? I was brought up (I'm sure) with the Incy Wincy Spider but I often see the Itsy Bitsy Spider hanging about. And sometimes he goes up the water spout and sometimes the garden spout! Tsk! Can't keep up!

When I'm not chasing after my children I'm working at a primary school as a teacher aide. I love my job immensely, I love every bit of it- the relationships I form with the kids as I watch them grow, the staff at my work are just these wonderful people, so smart and dedicated to the cause of educating children, we're all very passionate about it. I love educating children and educating myself in the process- kids can teach you so much!

Another part about my work that I love is being a kid again. Nearly all aspects of my work involves me getting in touch with my inner-kid- whether it's joining in conversations with them and understanding the trends and slang and then relating with something from when I was a girl, or getting into their heads and realising just how a child thinks and why they learn the way they do. Then there's the very obvious 'being a kid again' aspect of my job. Dress ups.

You can't avoid dress ups with a school job and it's one of those work requirements I particularly love. Our theme coming up in a week or so is Fairy Tales & Nursery Rhymes. I tossed up a bit of Cat & The Fiddle, I even thought about fashioning a spoon and coming with a dish to run away with, my next thought moved to the Incy Wincy Spider - can't be too hard, 4 more 'legs' and I'm done. I googled a bit to find the easiest way to do it and I found this. Thank you, Martha Stewart. So today I set about it. I made a quick black A-Line skirt with an elastic waist, taped two coat hangers together and then onto a hook, (Husbando wouldn't be a sport and wear it to make this process easier) then used some white yarn to turn it into a web, which was a bit  fiddly and time consuming but I'm pleased with the end result.



I love the actual Incy Wincy Spider I made as well. Can't wait for our dress up day!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love the idea and you made it work beautifully! The kids will love it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know it passed the test from my two kids, can't be hard to win over the other 55! hee!

    ReplyDelete