Friday, July 1, 2011

All in a day's work!

There were some dramas, this blog post was meant to be posted last night but something terrible happened - my laptop died. Thankfully we were able to operate and and saved the hard drive so I have my precious favourites and pictures, but, yes sadly, my laptop is dead.
There were some photos I really wanted - photos for this very blog entry.. and now they're back to being available (as the hard drive hangs haphazardly out of the handy husband's computer) and here we go.

As I've said, I'm on holidays, and being on holidays is a little more quiet as the children are off for a few hours, allowing me to sew - and to listen to loud music the contains swear words and, of course, to combine both things. I set about making another skirt across the last two days, it would've taken me about a couple of hours all up, but it was a lot of work for Me Of Little Attention Span so it took me two days of lazy work.

Pattern from 1983
Oma gave me this pattern, it included the skirts and the tops - yet to make the top.. knit scares me. But I set to work making a multi-panel gored skirt.. it involved a lot of cutting, 25 panels to be precise.

It is important to listen to Eminem while you cut fabric, donchaknow.
And once they were all cut, I admired them.

And then I got to sewing them. I decided to do it methodically. I cut in layers of 2, so I just sewed them all, then I sewed another 2 to another 2 (does that make sense?) and in the end I had my one lone ranger, number 25, to secure on either end.

This was more time consuming than I could ever anticipate. I had to sew 25 straight lines. I actually think I'm a bit of an expert in sewing straight lines now because I did it - a lot. I did it so much that I got to the point where I could put my foot to the floor and zip it through like some kind of ... person who can sew fast.

Doing the waistband was a bit of a worry, I don't think I did it right as it doesn't have the right amount of stretch, but that's okay, still fits. I'll have to look up on how to properly attach elastic with a zig-zag, I did a lot of stitch lengthening and what-not.

I have to say- I think my 'pin cushion' is ingenious. :D
And then it was done! And I love it. Cobey approves too, in fact the next day he made sure that I was wearing "the skirt" because "It is just so beautiful."





I have to agree, it's very spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment